09 July 2007

She's coming!!! Are they going???

It's been awhile since I posted anything. Life's been a little strange of late, but I've also been focused on this coming Thursday.

My friend, Kat, who I shared 3 different apartments with over the course of our 3 years in law school, is coming to visit me for the first time since the 2000 Ky. Derby! I was last out in Portland in August of 2005 and I declared at that time that I wasn't coming back to visit until she came to Louisville to visit me. I don't think she believed me at first, and then she and her husband Josh started pleading with me to cave, but I stood firm. And finally, she's coming. We'll have a blast, even if we don't do anything very exciting. But don't worry, Kat, we'll do plenty of fun things!

Josh got the ball rolling with a series of emails trying to figure out when was a good time in my schedule, and her work schedule (which is always hellish), and even in his own schedule. (As a side-note, Josh, good luck with work move #1. Don't kill anyone, it's not worth it!) As I said then, the only possible problem I had at any time during July was the potential for the governor to call a special session.

Well, guess what? The governor didn't disappoint. He issued the call on July 2, for a session to start July 5th. Mentally I started cringing, thinking that Kat would have to spend hours and hours sitting in my office with me, watching the legislative process up close and personal. Don't get me wrong, I love working for the legislature, but I also firmly believe the old saying by Otto Von Bismarck: "Laws are like sausages. It's better not to see them being made."

There has, however, been a development which may mean Kat and I won't being spending all of our time in Frankfort. I'm not sure. You see, the House of Representatives chose to adjourn sine die (permanently) on Thursday, the first day of the special session. There's a great deal of debate over the constitutionality of that move, and since then the various sides (House, Senate, and Governor) have been negotiating and holding press conferences and issuing statements. The Senate has continued to meet and consider legislation, but has nowhere to send it if they do pass the bills that have been introduced.

Kat and I talked last night and she asked me what this all meant. Honestly, I had to tell her that I didn't know, and no one else did, either. It's certainly an interesting constitutional question, but I don't have a dog in that fight. The Senate may adjourn sine die before Thursday rolls around, too. The Governor could issue another call and a new special session to start. Who knows? There have been too many surprises already about this session for anyone to be able to predict.

Personally, because my friend's coming into town to visit, I'd love for this session to be over with by Thursday. I'd rather be showing her all the many cool things there are to do in Louisville instead of sitting in my office watching bills be debated. But no matter what, Kat's going to be in Kentucky in 72 hours, so I'm a happy girl!

1 comment:

Kat said...

Hey, if we have to hang in Frankfurt, maybe I can get CLE credits as I learn about the sausage being made! Can't wait to see you