05 June 2007

Medical Update

The back/leg problems continue. I've not felt most of my left foot since Derby Day (one month ago today). After the ER visit, my regular doctor sent me for an MRI and a visit with a neurosurgeon who specializes in back problems. As for the MRI, that is a hellish experience that I hope I never have to repeat. If so, I want some Xanax or some other drug to keep me from hyperventilating, because it was not fun and I didn't think I was going to survive.

Anyway, the neurosurgeon tells me that I have a herniated disk. Thankfully, most of the pain is gone, most of the time. If I do too much it comes back, but I have plenty of drugs to take care of it: pain medication, anti-inflammatories, and muscle relaxers. He also prescribed physical therapy. Apparently either PT or epidural shots (Yuck!) work for about 80% of patients. I intend to be one of that 80% because I definitely don't want surgery.

Because the doc gave me the go-ahead to go to Cape Cod, the PT didn't start until yesterday. Before I went I grilled everyone I knew who had used PT so I knew what to expect. And I was pleasantly surprised. The therapist said that unlike some patients that have to go through pain to get better, his goal was to keep me out of pain and to get relief for my leg, first and foremost. Then we'd see if there was a way to lessen the impact of the herniated disk. I will do whatever they prescribe, including the exercises. Speaking of which, I need to close the door to my office and do those here in a minute!

Anyway, just wanted to let you all (all 4 of you! Ha!) know what's going on.

No comments: