18 August 2007

Fast Times

It's been a doozy of a week, but in a good way for the most part. I was sort of in slow motion when I got back from Boston. Truthfully, I still have a suitcase of laundry that needs to be done (and soon, too). But I was just lazy last weekend.

Which is why on Tuesday I got an email from my friend Crady, asking me if I was ever, ever, ever going to do any scrapbook pages for the book that many of us were putting together in appreciation for everything that our friend Maria had done in leading our Affirmation Group (young adult small group started at my old church). We had to get it done by Wednesday because that was when Maria was officially stepping down as group leader and when we as a group really had to start making concrete decisions on what we are going to do as we move forward. Most likely we'll still be meeting, but just somewhere else and probably at some other time. And we'll definitely be splitting up the responsibilities of the group.

I've been distracted all week, though, because there was a potential that I might get a promotion at work. I knew this was a possibility 3 weeks ago, but nothing else had happened since, so I wasn't sure what was happening. A committee staff administrator (CSA) of another committee is retiring at the end of the month. Finally, they decided to hold interviews late this week, so on Thursday morning I got to talk with my agency's director about the position.

Well, I found out about 26 hours later that I got the job! Starting September 1 I will be the CSA of the Seniors, Military Affairs, & Public Safety committee. There are 2 other full-time analysts on the committee, along with a committee assistant (secretary of the committee), and a part-time analyst who is the retired former CSA of the committee. Even before the announcement was made that I was getting the job, one of the chairwomen of the committee had already given me a few things to do for her. And even when I officially start, there won't be much of a grace period because the first committee meeting will be 4 days later. Whew!!! The only downside to the whole thing is that one of my friends was also in the running for the position, and I hated that me getting it meant she didn't. That's just a tough situation.

As a bonus from out of the blue, Mom gave me the emerald and diamond ring she'd bought in Philadelphia two years ago and that I've coveted ever since. She told me that she was planning on giving it to me at Christmas, but decided that my promotion was an excellent opportunity. I love this ring! And I may not be taking it off any time soon.

1 comment:

Kat said...

most awesome - about the job and the ring!!!